Hutchinson Builders were contracted by Origin Energy to construct the Pony Plains 204 person FIFO camp, support buildings and 60 person administration office.
Hutchinson Builders was challenged by limited/no 3G communications at the Pony Plains site. In order for the delivery of the camp, they required a reliable internet service and a VoIP phone in the construction offices. Upon completion, Hutchinson Builders required enterprise grade Wi-Fi throughout the camp, and phones in each room for residents to call family and friends.
March IT was required to deliver:
- Reliable remote internet service for three construction offices
- High quality and reliable Wi-Fi service throughout the three construction offices
- High quality and reliable Wi-Fi service for a 204 person camp
- In-Room IP telephony for 204 person camp
- High quality and reliable Wi-Fi service for a 60 person administration office
- VoIP telephony for administration offices
March IT installed a temporary remote internet service into the Hutchinson Builders construction offices within two weeks of being awarded the contract, and a permanent remote internet and village Wi-Fi service deployed within eight weeks. Through fixed wireless technologies, the Pony Plains service was carried 130km over the March IT network.
The temporary service included the deployment of a solar powered Rapid Deployment Trailer (RDT), with a 20m guyed mast, to provide 10Mbps of bandwidth and connect back to the March IT Fixed Wireless network. One VoIP phone was installed in the Hutchinson Builders construction office along with corporate Wi-Fi to allow for mobility throughout the construction site.
Upon completion of the village construction, March IT installed a permanent internet service, with 70Mbps of bandwidth, an indoor and outdoor Wi-Fi network throughout the village, and in-room IP phones for the residents. Added security was delivered through firewall and content filtering to ensure bandwidth availability for all residents, at all times. A corporate internet service was connected into the administration and support offices, with a further 15 phones for office use.
March IT’s high speed, reliable internet services and village Wi-Fi has reduced the impact of isolation at the Pony Plains Village. Due to the lack of 3G availability, the Wi-Fi and in-room phone solution has provided village residents the ability to contact family and friends without interruption. Through the use of firewalling and content filtering, all residents are able to use the service simultaneously, without the strain on bandwidth caused by peer-to-peer downloading.With the delivery of telecommunications completed within two weeks of being award the contract, March IT was able to:
- Connect people working in remote places to their families and friends
- Improve productivity by providing reliable telecommunications in remote places
- Reduce the impact of isolation for those working in remote places
- Deliver reliable communications to a site where limited/no 3G service was available